WINNIPEG – The selection committee for the Manitoba Golf Hall of Fame and Museum is pleased to announce the class of 2020. This year’s honoured inductees include Brian Gilhuly, Tom Kinsman, Rhonda Orr and the 1967 Manitoba Junior Men’s Interprovincial Team Champions.
Brian Gilhuly, 1940-2017 (Builder)
- Selkirk Golf & Country Club member of the Board of Directors (1960-1974 & 1986-2017)
- Selkirk Golf & Country Club Treasurer (1988-2017)
- Golf Manitoba volunteer from 1980 to 2017
- Golf Manitoba member of the Board of Directors (1989-2010)
- Finance Chair for Golf Manitoba (1980-2005)
- Golf Manitoba Course Rater (1991-2017)
- Golf Manitoba Handicap & Course Rating Chair (2001-2017)
- Rated over 300 golf courses in Manitoba and Northwest Ontario
- Bequeathed over $100,000 to the Selkirk Golf & Country Club
- Donated over $100,000 to the Golf Manitoba Scholarship Fund
Tom Kinsman (Builder)
- PGA of Canada head professional at the Southwood Golf & Country Club 1991-2018
- PGA of Manitoba Professional of the Year (1995)
- PGA of Manitoba member of the Board of Directors (1995-2002)
- PGA of Manitoba President (1998-2000)
- Four-time PGA of Manitoba Teacher of the Year (1999, 2000, 2004 & 2011)
- Won six PGA zone professional titles
- Players coached won 39 provincial championships and 4 national championships
Rhonda Orr (Athlete)
- Seven-time Manitoba senior women’s champion (2013-14, 2016-20)
- Seven-time Manitoba senior women’s interprovincial team member (2013-19)
- Qualified for the USGA Senior Women’s Championship (2016, 2018 & 2019) making it to the round of 32 in 2019
- Seven top-20 finishes in the Canadian Senior Women’s Championship (T13 – 2013, T19 – 2014, 8th – 2015, T4th – 2016, T13 2017, T18 – 2018, T11th – 2019)
- Three-time Golf Manitoba Female Amateur Golfer of the Year award winner (2016, 2018 & 2019)
1967 Manitoba Junior Men’s Interprovincial Team Champions
- Steve Bannatyne – Winnipeg, MB
- Manfred Broavac – Port Arthur, ON
- Dave Hill – Winnipeg, MB
- Ken Redfern – Winnipeg, MB
- Dr. Dwight Parkinson – Winnipeg, MB (non-playing captain)
Feature image above (left to right): Manfred Broavac, Steve Bannatyne, Ken Redfern, Dave Hill, Dr. Dwight Parkinson (non-playing captain)
The 1967 Manitoba Junior Men’s Interprovincial team finished in 1st place shooting a 36-hole team score of 619 and seven shots ahead of second place Team British Columbia (626). The team championship was conducted during the first two days of 1967 Canadian Junior Men’s Championship that was held August 21-24 at the Toronto Golf Club in Toronto, Ontario.
An Induction Ceremony for the 2020 Class will be held when it is safe to do so and a further announcement will be made when a date is selected.
About the Manitoba Golf Hall of Fame & Museum Inc. – The Manitoba Golf Hall of Fame & Museum Inc. was formed to acknowledge the contributions and accomplishments made by Manitobans as competitors, both amateur and professional, builders and course superintendents to the game of golf. It is a tripartite organization, the partners being Golf Manitoba, Manitoba Golf Superintendents’ Association and the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) of Manitoba. The annual induction ceremony is sponsored by the Alex & Peggy Colonello Foundation.
Individual members and member clubs wishing to nominate an individual (amateur or professional golfers, superintendents, builders, media, etc.) for the Manitoba Golf Hall of Fame may obtain nomination forms through any of the three member organizations or at manitobagolfhalloffame.com.