2021 Protocols & Conditions of Competitions
Updated May 17, 2021
Golf Manitoba and the clubs hosting our events have made changes to our golfing and competition procedures to ensure the safety of players, volunteers, staff and everyone involved in our championships.
Please note that by choosing to participate in our competitions, you do so entirely at your own risk and will not hold Golf Manitoba responsible for any damages. By registering and competing in any Golf Manitoba event, you acknowledge that you have agreed to all of Golf Manitoba’s policies and procedures as outlined below and on our website here >>. You also agree to the host club’s policies and procedures as outlined on their website or by calling the pro shop prior to arriving competition.
During these unprecedented times, it is extremely critical that all players read and understand the policies and procedures for Golf Manitoba competitions amid the COVID – 19 pandemic. If you have any questions, please contact Lisa Andersen in advance of the competition:
Director of Competitions
Eligibility & Pre – Screening
The following precautionary pre – screening measures will be in place during the COVID-19 pandemic. Players, volunteers and staff will not be allowed to participate in a Golf Manitoba competition if one or more of the following three categories applies:
- If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: fever, cough, difficulty breathing. Players may be subject to a temperature check when arriving at the course.
- You have been in contact with someone diagnosed with COVID-19 within the last 14 days.
- You have travelled outside of the country and returned to Canada within the last 14 days.
Please use the Government of Manitoba COVID-19 screening tool prior to participating in any Golf Manitoba event.
Any players that violate this policy could be subject to SUSPENSION from future Golf Manitoba competitions.
Club & Course Set Up
Please be aware that each golf course will have their own set of protocols and accessibility that a player will be required to follow.
- Clubhouses may be closed or have limited access.
- Washrooms may not be available.
- Pro Shop will have their restrictions posted.
- Food and Beverage service may not be available.
- Practice areas may be closed or may restrict the number of players allowed on, the time they are allowed to start practicing and the duration of practice.
- Purchase of range balls may be required to be prepaid online.
- Range balls may or may not be sanitized between uses.
- Pull carts may not be available for rent, it is recommended that you bring your own.
- Motorized Carts may be assigned one per player.
- It is imperative that players are prepared and bring their own personal protective equipment.
- No gatherings of any kind are permitted at Golf Manitoba Championships, including the course, parking lot, starting and scoring areas.
Before the Round
- Players will not be permitted to start practicing at the driving range and/or the practice putting green until 40 minutes before their tee time.
- Golfers are reminded to keep a minimum of 2 metres between yourself and others. This applies to all areas of the property.
- You must not approach the starting table until the Golf Manitoba volunteer indicates to do so.
- Masks will be mandatory at the starting table.
- The volunteer will run through expectations for the round including Golf Manitoba protocols.
- Players will score for both themselves and the player they are marking for as in previous years, a Golf Manitoba scorecard will be available to print off online or at the starting table.
- Player material’s such as SLR’s, pace of play and Notice to Competitors will ONLY be available on our website here>>. Players are encouraged to review and print off prior to arriving at the starting table.
During the Round
- Ball washers, water stations, benches, garbage containers and sand bins may be covered, removed or a sign – posted in such a way that players don’t touch them.
- one player per cart.
- Golfers are reminded to keep 2 metres apart at teeing areas due the normal close proximity of golfers to one another when tee shots are being played.
- Players must not gather (multiple groups) on any tee deck if a hole is backed up.
- Masks are not required where 2m physical distancing is maintained however players must consider people’s movement and the potential for congested areas where masks would be recommended.
- A reminder to golfers to stay more than 2 metres apart when walking to the ball, searching for a ball and playing shots.
- A reminder to golfers not to touch any golf ball but their own, no lost or stray balls.
- There will be no rakes on the course. Golfers are to make their very best efforts to smooth the sand using their club and/or their feet.
- Golfers are reminded to keep 2 metres apart on the putting greens.
- Continuous putting is recommended.
- Flagsticks will be used but players will not be allowed to touch them. Flagsticks are to stay in the hole at all times.
- The player will be required to hole out.
- Are not to be touched and/or moved.
- If players are pulled off the course for any situation such as weather, you will be required to go directly to your car until called back onto the course. Players will receive word from Golf Manitoba via text and/or email.
After the Round
- Golfers are reminded to leave the course immediately after leaving the scoring tent and/or purchasing food for take out.
- Masks will be mandatory at the scoring table.
- Final Score Verification: Final scoring will take place after the round in the designated scoring area. The marker will be asked to read out the hole – by – hole scores for that round. The player must then confirm their score to the scoring official. Any disputes must be handled in the scoring area.
- There will be NO exchange of physical scorecards after the round. To minimize the number of errors, it is highly recommended that markers confirm the score with the player after each hole is completed. All scores will be final once the player has left the scoring area. No exceptions.
- Chairs will be 2 meters apart from one another.
- Scores will be accepted for handicapping purposes.
- Only those placing 1st, 2nd and 3rd will be allowed at the prize table for pictures only.
Rules of Golf Related Matters
Until further notice, the following provisions are considered acceptable on a temporary basis under the Rules of Golf:
Rule 3.3b committee may choose to allow methods of scoring in stroke play that do not strictly comply with Rule 3.3b or do not comply with the normal methods used under Rule 3.3b.
- Players are not allowed to touch or move any stake on the golf course
- Out of Bound Stakes (white) are boundary objects and considered to be Integral Parts of the Course.
- Penalty Area stakes (red or yellow) or any Green or blue stakes are now considered Temporary Immovable Obstructions.
- Objects such as benches, ball washers, ropes, signage, tees, sand boxes and garbage cans are considered Temporary Immovable Obstructions.
- Players are not allowed to touch or move.
- When a player’s ball lies in a disturbed area (e.g. footprint) within the bunker, the player may take free relief once by PLACING the original ball or another ball in and playing it from the relief area:
- Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
- Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: one club-length from the reference point, but within these limits
- Limits on Location of Relief Area: Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and must be in the bunker.
- Interference does not exist if the disturbed area interferes with the player’s stance.
- Golfers are required to leave the flagstick in the hole at all times and not to touch it.
- They are considered Integral Parts of the Course.
Hole and Holed
- The ball shall be required to be holed out.
Scores for Handicap Purposes
- The Golf Manitoba Officials Committee is the relevant handicapping authority and have decided that scores entered using any of the above provisions are acceptable for handicapping purposes.
Penalties for not following tournament policies, procedures or protocols and new Local Rules/Conditions of Competition put in place due to COVID 19 by BOTH Golf Manitoba and the host club are as follows:
1st offence – warning
2nd offence – 1 stroke penalty
3rd offence – 2 stroke penalty
4th offence – DQ
- No caddies
- No spectators